Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Calista Greenough: Sharing the Blessing


This is God’s house and He is here today.
He hears the songs we sing and listens when we pray.


Now that’s a real old song! It’s a start to learning about church, and going on to learn about the things inside, such as the font, the pulpit, candles and cross, etc. And that’s what we did.

I sang in the choir, junior and senior, and came to love the altar linens and paraments, and the beautiful fabrics of the church season. So, eventually I joined the altar guild and became a licensed lay leader, a chalice bearer and a lector. Each of these roles is so meaningful and has added so much to my life.

Then I became an LEMB [
Lay Eucharistic Minister B, or Eucharistic Visitor] and able to take communion to the sick and shut-in, truly a great privilege. Phil Bateman, Joe Schramm, Jane Dickinson and I were in the first group from our church to go to Saint Paul’s Cathedral in Boston for our training. I can’t begin to describe the feeling I’ve had each time I’ve taken the sacraments out to grateful people. I’ve ended up gaining more from them.

My special person was Barbara Wentworth, who was in assisted living in Peabody near the Danvers line. What a lady! It was my pleasure to know her. She died at 101.


My faith in God and in prayer has seen me through ups and downs so far. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment