Monday, April 11, 2011

Neal Grasso: My Grandmother's Faith


My grandmother was a spiritual woman who, without question, put all her faith in God. Growing up I never understood how she was able to steadfastly trust that God would always see her through life. I've experienced difficulties in my life, when I could hear my grandmother saying "Trust the Lord, mi hijo, he's always there for us."

My grandmother's words were never more powerful to me than on the night my daughter, Mia, was born. It was a quite simple moment that reminded me how important it is to trust God.
After Mia was born I sat alone with her in the delivery room while the doctors took Stacie into an operating room to locate and repair a minor source of bleeding that they were having trouble with. It was about 2:30 am and I was in a rocking chair near the window just staring at Mia. I was in awe as I softly sang to her while she slept in my arms. I was also a little scared. While the doctors assured me that there was nothing wrong with Stacie, I was worried because I couldn't be with her at that moment, when I so wanted to be.


I remember thinking about this new, incredibly important, responsibility I now have. It wasn't just the two of us anymore; it was the three of us. How could I be there for both Stacie and Mia when they both needed me? It was then that my grandmother's words reminded me to "trust the Lord". Her voice continues to remind me how important it is to trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment