Friday, March 25, 2011

Diane Kessler: Stitch by Stich


The women sit in the parlor in a loose circle. It is Tuesday morning and time for the prayer shawl knitters to gather. Their hands are busy and they visit about this and that until someone – and it can be anyone in the group – announces, “Let us pray.” All quiets as a candle is lit. There are many prayers for prayer shawl communities. The prayer chosen always seems to be appropriate for the day, even if only through a line or two within it. I sit quietly and listen with my heart open and my mind at peace. This is the group (along with the choir) that did so much for me when I was lonely and afraid, that welcomed me in with open arms and taught me not only how to knit, but also how to re-enter a faith community. This is a group that lives by faith and knits it into every shawl produced. They are ready to wrap anyone in need in warmth and love. I am a grateful recipient of their bountiful gifts, and I give thanks for what they have done to rebuild my trust in God stitch by stitch every Tuesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment