Friday, March 18, 2011

Nance Proctor: Songs of Faith


When the 9/11 tragedy happened - when my younger sister died a painful death with pancreatic cancer -----I had a destroyed "Trust in God".

How did I recover this important outlook for my life?

From the age of 10, I have sung in a Church Choir. The Music Ministry was fun and meaningful for me. Not that my voice is a great contributing talent, but it FEELS GOOD to sing out the familiar songs. When "Trusting God" became questionable for me, I would HEAR the words to the hymns I was singing.

Lyrics like "My faith looks up to thee" (#691 in THE HYMNAL 1982)----may thy rich grace impart strength to my fainting heart-----"or Beethoven's Hymn to Joy------"melt the clouds of sin and sadness, drive the dark of clouds away". Great healing for a troubled heart!

Listen to (#664) "My Shepherd will supply my need-----He brings my wandering spirit back when I forsake his ways---" How can anyone know Psalm 23 set to music and be uninspired?

Tears (of joy) spill from my eyes when we sing the beautiful German melody-----"fairest Lord Jesus, ruler of all nature----thee will I cherish----my soul's glory, joy and crown." ( #388 in our Episcopal Hymnal.)

So many wonderful ways to praise God - TRUSTING GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment