Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sally Gamble: You are not Forgotten


Many years ago in the early 60’s I was in a bad place. I was married but had lost my first two children. With my third I had to spend 6 months in bed. What a miracle, I had a beautiful healthy son. But, the cycle continued. Two more losses and I had 1 more son. This continued until finally I had one more son and a daughter but had spent almost 2 years in bed in the process. I had prayed for children but thought had God was punishing me in some way by taking my children. Counseling was not offered at that time, you just got through it on your own. I felt lost and thought that he had forgotten me.

A few years later when I was on Vestry we had a vestry retreat day. We were asked to tell the person next us something that troubled us but nobody knew about. I was lucky enough to have John Joyce as my partner. He listened carefully and was very comforting and made me feel as if someone cared. About a month later Donna called and invited me to a healing service for people who had lost children. It was just what I had needed and I will forever be grateful to her for her kindness. I learned that God did care and was helping me in a way I hadn’t realized. I highly recommend it to anyone who has lost a child. It was a great help in my healing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment