Thursday, March 31, 2011

Garvin Moore: The Navigator


I was raised in the Methodist Church down South, which meant going to Sunday School every Sunday with the rest of the kids. It was interesting, full of good stories, but not much different from going to regular school during the week. I didn’t go to church much during two years in the Navy, of four years of college. I didn’t make a personal relationship with Jesus until I went to a religious camp for a week at the invitation of a friend from work. While there I met a young man from a group called the Navigators. He was able to make Jesus real for me. He also invited me to attend a Billy Graham rally in New York, where I went forward with others to commit myself to Jesus.

I graduated from MIT, but needed to lean on Jesus for support when I got into difficulty as a graduate student, and battled depression for years. HE helped me get my life back on track during a career as an engineer with the Raytheon Company, and later on when I battled lymphoma contracted on my eightieth birthday. Since my Billy Graham experience, church has been a vital part of my life. I try not to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment